Half of my posts are about travel/treks and as a result intentionally or unintentionally my blog has also been coined as a 'semi-travelogue'.
So what's the purpose of a travelogue ?
According to me in a travelogue the author has to take the reader through the journey experienced recently. Majority of my posts have been written with the same intention. Also, in some posts I have highlighted the important information in order to make job easy for the people directed by search engines.
Many of my trips have been interesting and with some exceptional incidences, automatically the corresponding travelogue posts have been interesting. In addition I mention, how exactly the trip/trek was planned and various funny stuffs associated with it.
But, if the trip itself is boring, then there are very less chances of making blog interesting. One of the regular reader of my blog gave a feedback for my Dodda Alada Mara(Big Banyan Tree) post that my posts have became monotonous and predictable. I had to gracefully accept her feedback. Actually I too was bored writing about the trip with same phrases and one liners.
In the next subsequent post, about trip to Maidenahalli Blackbuck Reserve Forest, instead of narrating about the trip in a chronological order, I chose present the experiences in somewhat unusual Q&A format. It turned out to be a pattern breaker and many of my readers complemented for the same.
Is there any other way of sharing experiences about a trip?
- Photoalbum: One of the usual way is by sharing a photoalbum with captions. It can be circulated among friends and relatives but people in need for the information(searching in google) won't have access to the information.
- Video: The other way is by composing a video about the trip. Radesh Bhat documented his recent Sarpass trek through a 9 minute 11 seconds youtube video with sliding photos and having A.R. Rehman's Roja music as background score. The video was good to see for intial 2-3 minutes but in later stages it became boring because of similar of kind of content. A crisper video would have been more worthwhile to watch.
- Poem: One of my friends, Sudhir aka ski blogged about his recent US Road Trip in a 20 line poem. One has to read between the lines to understand his feelings.
So what's your intention about a travelogue. Let me know your opinion through comments.
Some travelogues I follow regularly
- Arun Bhat: India Travel Blog.
- Sandeep Unnimadhavan: Trekkalogs.