After critical acclaim and commercial success of Lucia, the young creative director from Kannada Film Industry is back in business with latest flick U-turn. Initially, his venture post Lucia was supposed to do on a theme related to Nicotone. Due to lack of funding, the director decided to do a literal U-turn and decided to make this movie.
The story of the movie is based on acts of people on Bengaluru's most in famous flyover connecting Double Road, Lalbagh Road, Richmond Road and Residency Road. The flyover is hopelessly designed to an extent that Bengaluru traffic police had to introduce a traffic signal atop to make it operational !
|Google map screen shot of the flyover :)|
The following things are noteworthy in the film:
- Initial credit sequence with inverted frame and Karma background score.
- Cinematography through Drones: Top shot of the flyover during interval. I guess this should be made by folks from Topshot.
- Roger Narayan: Hollywood actor playing the role of an inspector. He dominates the screen with his natural performance. The actor who had spent his formative years in Bangalore had acted as a child artiste in films like Akasmika and SP Sangliana. [source]
- Last but not the least - the message from the movie. It would make lot of difference even if 10-20% people avoid breaking traffic rules on road.
Things which didn't work for me:
- Climax: I felt something was missing in it. It could have been made more believable. But after discussing with blogging buddy Raveesh, I felt super-natural option was logical for the script and going by natural route would have made the story-line more complex. Do read review of Raveesh at U-Turn: Simple and Thrilling and QnA session organized by Pawan in the embedded video below where he answers lot of queries on the climax :)
Video Q and A Organized by Pawan Kumar:
Trailer of the film: